Internet marketing these days is all about the gurus. Everyone’s an expert. Every one of them makes loads of money … (ya, right!) And everyone who makes a couple of bucks online fancies themselves a guru. You do NOT want to get caught up in the toilet-bowl that is their little universe. It is a total time-sucker and you’ll be swimming with logs of crap.
Here are 10 Characteristics of the Self-Appointed IM Guru
1. Their opinion about something is always stated as fact and you dare not question it.
2. If you disagree with their opinion, they will attack you personally. See Brian Clark attack on Lissie.
3. The rove in packs – with often 2 or 3 ganging up on people that question them.
4. They have groupies. Mindless fans that fawn over their every word, often telling them how great and how wonderful they are. Guru’s and their Ego’s love this.
5. They tend to make smart comments when a noob asks a dumb question.
6. They can write reams of crap and not say anything remotely helpful. This makes the groupies fawn and sweat which in turn feeds the Guru’s ego. It’s a win-win thing.
7. They will steal news and ideas they hear and read elsewhere and pass it off as their own.
8. Nothing is ever free with them. It’s always just a $97 ebook, or $37 piece of software away.
9. Most, (but not all) are list-building spammers. Once they get a grip on your email address, they never let go.
10. They are vampires. They don’t care about you. As long as you have a bit of blood (money) in you, they will continue to suck. When you’re dry – they drop you and move on to the ‘next project’.
Thank goodness there are good Internet Marketing people out there! People who will reply to your email – who are not trying to sell you something and who genuinely love to help people.
Here are a few of my favorites.
There are more I am sure, but these are ones that I know are not out to suck you dry.